www.flickr.com
7D7 Studio (Omar)'s items Go and check out 7D7 Studio (Omar)'s photostream

Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Hector Garcia & Other News

Today I started thinking about photography, how I haven’t heard of a famous or notable Mexican photographer, someone who would be known around the world. I did what any normal kid on the block would do after a thought; I hopped on a boat and navigated the internet waves. During the search I came across the name of Hector Garcia, I read a quick article on the guy and after doing more searches on the name I learned the following. In the early years of Hector Garcia, he was a vagabond like so many kids in Mexico City; later in his life he came back to the streets, the city that watched him grow, and captured it. He became a news agency photographer and now almost 80 years later his work is on display at Photo Espana 2005. Photo Espana is considered the Cannes for renowned world photographers (something I didn’t know), I guess I should add this to my “Places To Visit In My Lifetime” list.

Germany Seeks UN Council Seat

The first world union was called “The League Of Nations”, created after WWI after the defeat of Germany by Brittain, France, Italy and the US; I don’t remember the year. Today in 2005, Germany is seeking a permanent seat in the exclusive group of veto-wielding UN council. If my history serves me correct, the United Nations was created in 1945 in order to avoid another world conflict and later tackled other world problems. At the time of its inception the allied forces, (USA, Russia, France, etc.) formed the UN and only allowed the countries they defeated (Germany, Japan, Italy) to be part of the UN, but not have a permanent seat. Till this day none of the defeated countries from WWII are part of the council, so many years the war they've still been negated. I feel the world has moved on and has forgotten about those days (with the exception of war celebrations, veterans, etc.), but to quote Karla from the book I’m reading, Shantaram; “The business of big politics is the politics of big business”. We’ll see what happens in the coming months, both Japan and Germany are lobbying to be appointed.

No comments: