www.flickr.com
7D7 Studio (Omar)'s items Go and check out 7D7 Studio (Omar)'s photostream

Thursday, June 02, 2005

No Women Drivers



Driving for women in Saudi Arabia is prohibited.

This is one thing I learned today, I had no idea that such a ban existed in the world today. I knew women couldn’t leave there home without being accompanied by their husband or another male relative, but not being able to drive is crazy. Only Saudi Arabia has such a ban in the world today. I know I’m being ethnocentric, but the thought itself so mind boggling. I read an article today about a proposal in Saudi Arabia; it was only a proposal for talks to allow women to drive; talks alone have become such an issue, its taboo. Mohammad al-Zulfa brought forth the idea and has been receiving phone calls and text messages saying he is driven by “carnal instincts”. I feel that only something positive can come out of this if they allow women to drive, but again I don’t live nor think like a Saudi. I’m sure the proposal wont change but it will be interesting to follow the story.

1 comment:

f_ said...

Check my latest blog entry for updates ;)